Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Sesame Chicken



I made Heather's fried rice for dinner last night and it was delicous, but left me wanting more Chinese food. When I crave Chinese, it doesn't go away until I finally cave in and get some takeout. It could be a day or three weeks later, but eventually the craving wins. So today I played around in the kitchen a little and made some sesame chicken that hit the spot. There were a few ingredients I don't normally have at home that I had to buy, but all together they were cheaper than one meal from a restaurant would be. To me it was worth it. And it's lots heathier than the deep fried stuff you'd get if you ate out.

Ingredients
3 whole boneless chicken breasts

Marinade
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon cooking wine
3 drops sesame oil
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon oil (just whatever you normally cook with)

Sauce
1/2 cup water
1 cup chicken broth
1/8-1/4 cup white vinegar or rice wine vinegar (depending on how sweet you want the sauce)
1/4 cup cornstarch
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes or chili paste
1 minced garlic clove (I just threw a little garlic salt into mine, but that's just how I roll)

Garnish
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds

Directions

Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes. Mix the marinade ingredients (the first 9 ingredients listed) and marinate the chicken for 20 minutes.

To prepare the sauce:. Mix together all of the sauce ingredients in a small pot and bring to a boil, stirring continuously. Turn the heat down to low and keep warm while you are frying the chicken.

Heat about 1 T oil in a pan and fry the marinated chicken.
Place the chicken on a platter or bowl and pour the sauce over. Sprinkle with sesame seeds (I didn't this time). Serve the Sesame Chicken with rice (Like Heather's!)

Devan got really excited about this and he doesn't often get excited about anything. Hannah liked it too.



2 comments:

  1. This looks yummy! There are so many Asian recipes that call for sesame oil but it is so expensive! I think I'll just have to give in and buy it because I definitely want to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is expensive, but you really don't have to use very much of it. And it really gives thinks that "authentic" (or at least what American Alex thinks is authentic) asian taste.

    ReplyDelete