Thursday, October 1, 2009

Taco Soup



Disclaimer: No one in my house liked this soup very much at first. It was a little bland all by itself. Then we added tortilla chips, sour cream, and cheese and magically we all loved it. So, if anyone has a taco soup recipe that's good without all the fat, please post it because I'm still on the lookout (and also let me know if you think of other vegetables I could add to it.) But even with the chips and cheese it's within an acceptable calorie limit and it's a super, super filling lunch.

Ingredients:

1 lb. dried pinto beans

20 oz browned ground turkey

3 diced tomatoes

1 can of corn

About 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

1 packet of taco seasoning (I think I will use 2 packets next time)

Salt and pepper to taste

I made this in the crockpot. I usually shy away from dried beans, but I've been trying to use them more lately because they're so much cheaper. And I figured that if I'm making something in the crockpot, I'm obviously in no hurry. So, I rinsed the beans, then put them in the crockpot with water. I covered the crockpot (left it off) and let them soak there for about 8 hours. Then I dumped them back in the strainer, gave them a quick rinse and put them back in the crockpot. Pretty painless.

I threw everything in the crockpot with about 6 cups of water and cooked on low for 7 hours.

Like I said, it wasn't amazing straight out of the pot. We had to add extra salt, which we hardly ever do. But, if you do eat it by itself, it's a very healthy dish.

Per serving you get:

184 calories,

5.1 grams of fat, only 1.3 of those being saturated fat,

20.7 grams carbohydrate

5.6 grams of fiber

14.6 grams of protein.

This made a massive amount. We got 12 bowls out of it, (I'm not sure how many cups per bowl. I'm guessing about 1 and a half) so you may want to half the recipe. I froze half of what I made.

If you want to be good, this is a nice, high protien, low-calorie soup. But, if you want it to be delicous, add a small amount of cheddar (about 1/8 cup), 3 or 4 tortilla chips, and a couple tablespoons of low fat sour cream (I added 4 to mine...I love sour cream). All the extras added a little more than 200 calories to it (yikes!), but for me it was worth it for a delicous 400 calorie lunch that left me absolutely stuffed.




This soup has already had a few bites taken out of it. When I realized it tasted good I yelled at Devan to stop eating.

2 comments:

  1. Did you get all this nutritional info from spark people?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you can get there quicker from Sparkrecipes.com. You just type in all your ingredients and how many servings and it spits out a ton of information.

    ReplyDelete