Friday, October 2, 2009

Refried Beans

Speaking of beans, we always have dried beans on hand because of WIC so I like to get a bag of pinto beans and make homemade "refried" beans. This is so easy in the crock pot and you can freeze them for a long time. Just add a little water every time you reheat so that they don't get dry. I never add nearly as much salt as this calls for and they are still GOOD! This is a great, high protein, low fat food to have around for snacks or meals.

"Refried" Beans

INGREDIENTS

· 1 onion, peeled and halved

· 3 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed

· 1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped

· 2 tablespoons minced garlic

· 5 teaspoons salt

· 1 3/4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper

· 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin, optional

· 9 cups water

Directions

1. Place the onion, rinsed beans, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin into a slow cooker. Pour in the water and stir to combine. Cook on High for 8 hours, adding more water as needed. Note: if more than 1 cup of water has evaporated during cooking, then the temperature is too high.

2. Once the beans have cooked, strain them, and reserve the liquid. Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.


Nutritional Information
Servings Per Recipe: 15

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 139

Total Fat: 0.5g
  • Cholesterol: 0mg
  • Sodium: 785mg
  • Total Carbs: 25.4g
  • Dietary Fiber: 6.2g
  • Protein: 8.5g

4 comments:

  1. Ooh that sounds good! About how much would you say you eat with each serving? I don't think I'd be able to get 15 servings out of it, I'd want to eat too much. Where did you get your nutritional information from? It looks so professional. Also, have you ever tried it with any other beans? I have a bag of kidney beans that have been hanging out in my cupboard for about a year. I wonder if those would work. And while we're on beans, does anyone have a good recipe for garbanzo beans?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried it with a mixture of pinto and black beans and that was good. I eat a lot too but I try to eat it as a side dish. Maybe a third to a half a cup? I got this recipe at allrecipes.com and they usually have nutritional info on there too. You could make hummus with garbanzo beans. my dad has a really good recipe. I'll get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you throw the beans in the crockpot dry? That's what it sounds like, but it seems to good to be true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made this and it was so good. I loved knowing exactly what I was eating. And they're way more filling than I thought they'd be. Good job, Heather.

    ReplyDelete